Consumer Testing Panels
With consumer research panels and product test panels, NCSU Sensory Service Center will get you comprehensive feedback on your product to aid in flavor improvement and to assist you in maximizing potential within your product category. (If you are interested in market segmentation, placement and related services for market modifications or new product development, see our Market Research services.
The experts at the Sensory Service Center have over 10 years of experience developing and conducting Consumer Food Tasting Panels and Focus Groups for foods, beverages, and packaging.
We recruit for our adult and children taste tests through an online database of over 5,000 consumers in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. We are currently growing this into a national database with members across ten cities in the United States. We are also equipped for product testing with children. We have conducted taste tests for children ages 4 – 13yrs old on a variety of products including yogurt, kid’s juice drinks, and chocolate milk.
We test a variety of products including:
- whole and deli sliced turkeys
- whole and deli sliced hams
- canned beans
- ice cream
- microwave entrees
- whey protein
- carbonated drinks
- wines and spirits
- wine corks
- frozen foods packaging
- plastic containers
When you contact us for testing we will begin the process by:
- Helping you outline your test objective and select the appropriate sensory test to meet your objective.
- Based upon this conversation we will design a testing ballot and consumer recruitment screener for your approval.
- If testing is to be administered in survey format, we will launch it to our database for our recruited members to complete.
- If testing is to be administered in a live food tasting format, we will handle all the logistics and conduct testing in our facilities. (We can also coordinate and set up food tastings within the local RTP area.)
- Our staff, with your guidance, will test prepare all food materials and present the most appropriate preparation directions and presentation method for your product.
Our sensory team is highly trained in an array of sensory statistics, methods and techniques, including:
- ANOVA, Penalty Analysis and Chi Square for Just About Right questions, Kruskal-Wallis for non-parametric scales, Friedman’s Rank Sum, and Overall Preference
- Multivariate techniques including Principal Component Analysis, Partial Least Squares, Internal and External Preference Mapping, Kano Analysis, Factor Analysis, k- means clustering, and Agglomerative Hierarchical clustering
After testing is complete we will provide you with:
- A detailed top line report within 24hrs of test completion
- A detailed full report with methods, results, discussion, and figures within 10 business days
- We can provide analysis in the form of PowerPoint presentations to support you in immediate team, client sharing or executive review